Prosecutor General extended term for pre-trial investigation in Sheremet murder until April
The Prosecutor General’s Office has extended the pre-trial investigation into the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet until April 2020. The public prosecutor responsible for the case, Serhiy Zuzak, told it speaking to Hromadske.
The prosecutor explained that it was too early to refer the case to court or to cease criminal proceedings.
Serhiy Zuzak told that they needed to undertake some extra investigative measures, expert researches and, namely, crime re-enactments and interrogations.
Previously, the investigators had requested to extend the pre-trial investigation to six months, ie until June 2020. In their turn, the lawyers stressed that the investigation had three and a haf years to take all necessary investigative actions.
As IMI reported, in his interview with Interfax-Ukraine in January, the Prosecutor General Ruslan Ryaboshapka said some further evidences were indispensable to bring the case of murder of Pavel Sheremet before the law.
On January, the Kyiv's Pechersk District Court partially changed the level of restriction for Yana Duhar, suspected as person involved in murder of the journalist Pavel Sheremet, to night house arrest from 8:00 pm to 7:00.
On January 10th, The Court of Appeal of Kyiv has remanded the person suspected of having been involved in the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet, musician and ATO veteran Andriy Antonenko, in custody.
On December 12, 2019, Interior Minister Arsen Avakov announced that the National Police had detained and pressed suspicion to those involved in the murder of Pavel Sheremet.
On December 13, the Pechersk District Court of Kyiv suspended considering the case on pre-trial measure for the second suspect in the Sheremet murder case, volunteer and pediatric surgeon at Okhmatdit hospital Yulia Kuzmenko.
Previously, on Decemmber, The Kyiv Court of Appeal has upheld the preventive measure in the form of detention for children's cardiac surgeon Yulia Kuzmenko.
On December 12, Deputy Head of the National Police - Chief of Criminal Police Yevgeny Koval reported that the explosive under the car of journalist Pavel Sheremet was put by the ATO musician and volunteer Andriy Antonenko and doctor and volunteer Yulia Kuzmenko.
The same day, Yevhen Koval said that the investigation considered the main version of the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet was to destabilize the social and political situation in Ukraine.
On 12 December, the editorial staff of “Ukrayinska Pravda” (UP) claimed to be stupefied by the investigative lead into the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet, as “UP” web-based edition reported on its website.
“We welcome the fact that the investigation is underway and the case has not been forgotten. We have to say it frankly, the lead of investigation stupefied us. Actually, we took the information they set out with reserve, ” the UP’s message reads.
On July 23, 2019, Head of the National Police Serhiy Knyazev told that the murder of Pavel Sheremet still remained unsolved.
On July 23, 2019, the head of the National Police, Serhiy Knyazev, reported to the President Volodymyr Zelensky some classified information about the progress of the investigation into the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet.
On July 23, 2019, the President Volodymyr Zelensky told that those responsible for the murder of Pavel Sheremet would be found.
Pavel Sheremet died in Kyiv on July 20, 2016 in a car blast.