HOTLINE
On call 24 hours
Leave your data
and we'll get in touch with you
Thank you for your appeal

Or contact us:

info@imi.org.ua

050 447 70 63

Donate ІМІFile a complaint

Prosecutor General found insufficient evidences in Sheremet case

30.01.2020, 17:39
Photo credit: UNIAN
Photo credit: UNIAN

The Prosecutor General believes that some further evidence is needed to bring the case of murder of the journalist Pavel Sheremet before the law. Ruslan Ryaboshapka it in an interview with Interfax-Ukraine.

"I guess, actually some further evidence has to be collected so that the case can be brought to trial, as the volume of evidences is insufficient," Ryaboshapka said.

The Prosecutor General noted that the investigation was not to stop at the stage when they press suspicion against some persons, the investigation has to search some additional proofs since then too.

“In order to gather additional evidence to confirm or reject the guilt of these people - and we must move in both directions - written instructions from prosecutors to the investigation have been prepared and thus, the timing of the investigation was set. We will follow these instructions to be fulfilled,” Ryaboshapka stressed.

He further specified that the procedural decisions of prosecutors in the case would depend on how these instructions were met, or whether additional evidence was collected.

Responding to a question about whether one could envisage to identify the instigators of that crime, Ryaboshapka said: “It is our job: to move on and to identify people who not only organized the murder, but also those whom, in fact, it was profitable, who ordered the whole thing, without it the investigation will be incomplete. "

As IMI reported, on December 12, 2019, Interior Minister Arsen Avakov reported that the National Police had detained and pressed suspicion to those involved in the murder of Pavel Sheremet.

On December 12, Deputy Head of the National Police - Chief of Criminal Police Yevgeny Koval reported that the explosive under the car of journalist Pavel Sheremet was put by the ATO musician and volunteer Andriy Antonenko and doctor and volunteer Yulia Kuzmenko.

The same day, Yevhen Koval said that the investigation considered the main version of the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet was to destabilize the social and political situation in Ukraine.

On 12 December, the editorial staff of “Ukrayinska Pravda” (UP) claimed to be stupefied by the investigative lead into the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet, as “UP” web-based edition reported on its website.

“We welcome the fact that the investigation is underway and the case has not been forgotten. We have to say it frankly, the lead of investigation stupefied us. Actually, we took the information they set out with reserve, ” the UP’s message reads.

On July 23, 2019, Head of the National Police Serhiy Knyazev told that the murder of Pavel Sheremet still remained unsolved.

On July 23, 2019, the head of the National Police, Serhiy Knyazev, reported to the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky some classified information about the progress of the investigation into the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet.

On July 23, 2019, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky told that those responsible for the murder of Pavel Sheremet would be found.

In November 2019, Prosecutor General Ruslan Ryaboshapka told that the detention of the spouses of ATO veterans Vladyslav and Inna Gryschenko was not related to the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet. But, their involvement in the murder of the journalist was to be verified, the same as involvement of other persons.

Pavel Sheremet died in Kyiv on July 20, 2016 in a car blast.

Liked the article? Help us be even more cool!
Want to learn first about the new research of the Institute of Mass Media? Subscribe to the newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!