Parliament’s sidelines to be open partly for the press
Sidelines of the first floor of the parliament, that previously had been closed, are to be partly open for the press, as Dmytro Razumkov, Chairman of the parliament, said at the briefing on September 6th, as Espresso TV reported. The access to these places had been banned due to quarantine restrictions. But still, there will the number of persons will be restricted.
“During this year, we could see how much the media actually covered the activities of the Verkhovna Rada. There was also a working group on this issue. And we agreed that we would change the activities on the sidelines up to the first floor. I suppose that from tomorrow part of the sidelines will be open for the press. There will be some restrictions by number,: as theyactually work on the balcony, so will work on the first floor. The press center on the second floor keeps working, and I hope that we will make it even better in a while, ”he said.
Razumkov added that there will be some restrictions on the number of correspondents. According to him, about 3,000 journalists are accredited in the Rada, and only about a hundred actually work to this end.
"I think that we will be able to work out a mechanism that will be convenient for both journalists and the work of the Rada, and will really promote freedom of speech," he said.
As IMI reported, on March 12, Razumkov signed an order "On additional measures aiming to prevent incidence of acute respiratory disease." According to it, journalists are not allowed outside the press center of the parliament for the period of quarantine.
On May 28, Dmytro Razumkov amended the March 12 the Order “On Additional Measures to Prevent incidence of Acute Respiratory Disease”. According to the order, from June 1, media representatives are allowed to the press box of the balcony of the Verkhovna Rada meeting hall, in the order of arrival, and their total number in this box may not exceed 30 people.
On August 23, Dmytro Razumkov said that due to the deteriorating epidemic situation, journalists would not be allowed on the sidelines of the Verkhovna Rada with the start of a new plenary session on September 1.
On October 5, an order amending the procedure for admitting press to the Parliament building has been signed by Dmytro Razumkov. According to the changes, the mass media professionals are allowed to get in the administrative building of the Verkhovna Rada upon presenting one’s permanent accreditation card and additional passes valid for one attendance, as follows:
-up to 120 people: in the press center on the second floor;
-up to 30 people: in the press box of the balcony of the Verkhovna Rada sitting hall;
-no more than two TV crews (up to four people) are allowed from TV channels;
-from news agencies: up to two people;
-from other editions: one person each.
Admission of cameramen / photojournalists with professional equipment to the press box will also take place in the order of arrivals.