HOTLINE
We are available 24/7
Leave your contact details
and we contact you
Thank you for reaching out

Or contact us:

info@imi.org.ua

050 447 70 63

Support us ІМІFile a complaint

Judges extended custody of suspect of Sheremet murder

04.02.2020, 19:15
Photo credit: Hromadske Radio, Iryna Sayevych
Photo credit: Hromadske Radio, Iryna Sayevych

The Pechersk court of Kyiv has extended the custody for Yulia Kuzmenko, pediatric cardiac surgeon, who is suspected of murder of the journalist Pavel Sheremet until 3 of April. The judge issued such decision on February 4, as Interfax-Ukraine reported.

The prosecutor in the case, Serhiy Zuzak, asked the court to extend custody for two months for Yulia Kuzmenko.

For its part, Kuzmenko's defense lawyers claimed they would lodge an appeal.

As IMI reported, on December 24, 2019, the Court of Appeal of Kyiv upheld a preventive measure in the form of detention for Yulia Kuzmenko.

On December 12, 2019, On December 12, 2019, Interior Minister Arsen Avakov announced that the National Police had detained and pressed suspicion to those involved in the murder of Pavel Sheremet.

On December 13, the Pechersk District Court of Kyiv suspended considering the case on pre-trial measure for the second suspect in the Sheremet murder case, volunteer and pediatric surgeon at Okhmatdit hospital Yulia Kuzmenko.

Previously, on Decemmber, The Kyiv Court of Appeal has upheld the preventive measure in the form of detention for children's cardiac surgeon Yulia Kuzmenko. 

On December 12, Deputy Head of the National Police - Chief of Criminal Police Yevgeny Koval reported that the explosive under the car of journalist Pavel Sheremet was put by the ATO musician and volunteer Andriy Antonenko and doctor and volunteer Yulia Kuzmenko.

The same day, Yevhen Koval said that the investigation considered the main version of the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet was to destabilize the social and political situation in Ukraine.

On 12 December, the editorial staff of “Ukrayinska Pravda” (UP) claimed to be stupefied by the investigative lead into the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet, as “UP” web-based edition reported on its website.

“We welcome the fact that the investigation is underway and the case has not been forgotten. We have to say it frankly, the lead of investigation stupefied us. Actually, we took the information they set out with reserve, ” the UP’s message reads.

On July 23, 2019, Head of the National Police Serhiy Knyazev told that the murder of Pavel Sheremet still remained unsolved.

On July 23, 2019, the head of the National Police, Serhiy Knyazev, reported to the President Volodymyr Zelensky some classified information about the progress of the investigation into the murder of journalist Pavel Sheremet.

On July 23, 2019, the President Volodymyr Zelensky told that those responsible for the murder of Pavel Sheremet would be found.

Pavel Sheremet died in Kyiv on July 20, 2016 in a car blast.

Did you like the article? Help us to be even more cool!
Do you want to be first to learn about the new research of the Institute of Mass Information? Subscribe to the newsletter!
Thank you for suscribing!