Media community called MPs to help mass media functionning in quarantine
Several media organizations and media representatives are urging MPs to take measures to support the functioning of mass media in the context of restrictive anti-epidemic measures through the COVID-19 pandemic. This is said in the open letter from the National Media Association, published on March 25 on its Facebook page.
“The Coronavirus Disease Pandemic (COVID-19), which requires the introduction of large-scale restrictive (anti-epidemic) measures in all spheres of public life, has led to a critical decline in media income, which threatens its independence and existence. In order to avoid the inevitable consequences, it is necessary to take urgent measures to support the mass media and keep them functioning, ” the statement reads.
In order to support the functioning of the media we call MPs to adopt amendments to the legislation that will provide the following measures of state support:
- To postpone payments to the state budget and local budgets of all regions, as well as payments on obligations to state and municipal enterprises.
- To stop increasing of rents for premises.
- To offer the media professionals the right to use passenger transport.
- To offer broadcasters the right to not adhere to the requirements of the programming concept and to respond promptly to the needs of the audience.
- To suspend inspections of broadcasting organizations, except in cases of detection of signs of committing the most serious violations.
- To prohibit interruption or suspension of electricity supply to the State Enterprise “Concern RRT”.
You can sign the request by typing the name or name in the online document.
The National Media Association initiated the appeal. He was also signed by: Tetyana Troshchinska, Editor-in-Chief of Hromadske Radio, Valeriy Kalnysh, Editor-in-Chief of Radio NV, NGO "Media Detector", Olga Godovenko, Director of KP Yuzhnenskaya City TV Studio "MIG", Natalia Pospelovska, Program Director of ITC Center "ITK" and Center for Democracy and Rule of Law, Volodymyr Fomin, Director of the West Pole Radio Company LLC, Institute, of Mass Information NGO and the ZMINA Human Rights Center.
As IMI reported, on March 25, the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Humanitarian and Information Policy stated that the Ministry of Finance is preparing changes to the state budget, in particular, cuts funding of all activities of the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports. They remain only maintenance costs - that is, salary.
Help us be even more cool!