Parliament passed bill on independence of National watchdog
On December 15, the Verkhovna Rada adopted the draft law № 4107 “On Amendments to Certain Laws of Ukraine Concerning Ensuring the Independence of the National Council for Ukraine on Television and Radio Broadcasting”, as it is said on the website of the parliament.
The bill, according to the report, is aimed at ensuring the independence of the National Council, as well as unblocking the work of the regulator, taking into account the lockdown measures.
The project makes proposals:
- to regulate the procedure for submitting candidates for the position of a member of the National Council;
- to form a competitive commission to discuss the proposed candidates for the position of member (members) of the National Council and submit it to the President of Ukraine;
- to establish a list of requirements and restrictions for the candidacy for the position of a member of the National Council and for public associations and creative unions that may be the subjects of submission of such candidacies;
- to determine the grounds for early termination of the powers of a member of the National Council;
- to improve the remuneration of members of the National Council and staff;
- to settle some issues of the National Council's activity during the lockdown and other restrictive measures;
- to form a mechanism to ensure the holding of meetings without the participation of the relevant licensees, provided that the licensee is duly notified of the time and place of the meeting.
The draft law proposes to amend the laws of Ukraine “On the National Council of Ukraine on Television and Radio Broadcasting”, “On Television and Radio Broadcasting”, “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine Concerning State Support in Culture, Creative Industries, Tourism, Small and Medium Business in connection with the restrictive measures related to the spread of coronavirus disease COVID-19 "and" On administrative services ".
As IMI reported, on September 17, 2020, the Committee on Humanitarian and Information Policy recommended to the Verkhovna Rada to adopt in the first reading as a basis and as a whole the draft law №2036 “On Amendments to the Law of Ukraine“ On the National Council of Ukraine on Television and Radio Broadcasting ” procedures for dismissal and appointment of members of the National Council of Ukraine on Television and Radio Broadcasting ”.