Appeals court rules to keep Antonenko, suspect of Sheremet murder behind bars - UNIAN
The judges dismissed the motion filed by the suspect's lawyers. The panel of judges of Kyiv's Court of Appeals has ruled that war veteran and member of the Riffmaster band Andrii Antonenko suspected of involvement in the murder of Belarusian journalist Pavel Sheremet in Kyiv should remain behind bars, as UNIAN reported..
The judges announced at the beginning of court hearings that the third volume of the case had been delivered to the appeals court.
The absence of that volume was the cause behind the postponement of the previous preliminary hearing. "The decision made by an investigating judge of the Pechersky district court on May 25... should remain in force, the defender's appeal will not be satisfied," the judge read out the ruling. People who came to support Antonenko met the verdict with chanting "Hanba!" ("Shame!").
As UNIAN reported earlier, Sheremet was assassinated in a car blast in the center of Kyiv on the morning of July 20, 2016. On December 12, 2019, police said they suspected five persons of complicity in the crime: former Donbas war volunteer and musician Andrii Antonenko, army volunteer and pediatric surgeon Yulia Kuzmenko (nom de guerre "Lysa," or "Fox"), nurse with a paratrooper unit Yana Duhar, and a family couple of army volunteers Inna Hryshchenko ("Puma") and Vladyslav Hryshchenko ("Bucha"). Law enforcers claim that the goal of the Sheremet assassination was to destabilize the social and political situation in Ukraine. Antonenko, Kuzmenko and Duhar were notified of suspicion on December 12, 2019. Ukrainian investigative journalists with the Slidstvo.info project said they had found the forensic analysis report used in the probe into the murder of Sheremet far from being unambiguous, while evidence presented by the police was unconvincing. What is more, many Ukrainian activists consider the proof collected by the investigators to be insufficient.
Help us be even more cool!